Tuesday 16 December 2014

Auto Show 2014

One october morning I was on my way to work. On the way I saw a hoarding of auto show 2014. Frankly speaking I was not expecting it in Ahmedabad as Auto shows and auto expos normally doesn't happen in Ahmedabad. I was riding my bike at 60-70 km/hr so I was unable to read the whole thing. I thought it will be in some other city they have just put the hoarding here.

Next day again I read a bit like sponsors and associates to make sure that it is an auto show not an auto parts show. I was happy to see the names like Maruti Suzuki, Ford and some of the dealers of Ahmedabad. It confirmed that it is an auto show and it is in Ahmedabad only. Along with the sponsors and partners I read the dates as well. It was in last week of november. Being a car lover I was really happy that it was organised in our town. I had read all the things by now only thing I needed was the venue.

Two days later I read the venue while passing from that hoarding and it was Mahatma Mandir, Gandhinagar. How can I forget that all the summits and events like this in Gujarat are organised at Mahatma Mandir. I was even more happy that the venue was Mahatma Mandir as I enjoy driving on the roads of Gandhinagar. I decided to go for auto show on its last day sunday.

I was very excited about it. I thought the timings are from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. I planned to go there at 5 p.m. so that I get enough time to see all new cars, new concepts of different companies, how companies are marketing etc. At 3 p.m. one of my friends told me that timings are upto 6 p.m. only. Then I wanted to go at that time only but it was not confirmed yet. I confirmed the time by 4 p.m. that it will close down at 6 p.m. and ordered my friends to leave at 4:30. My excitement was out of control. We left at 4:30 and reached at Mahatma Mandir by 5. I parked my bike and I literally ran into Mahatma Mandir as I thought pretty less time is left that much excited I was. My friends came behind me walking.

Maruti Suzuki

As I entered the first car I saw was swift in Maruti Suzuki's camp. Yes! First camp was of Maruti Suzuki on the left. Apart from swift other cars in Maruti's camp were Ciaz and Alto K10. All three cars were recrntly launched. We all know about new swift and Ciaz. Alto also was re-launched with new improved K10 engine. I was expecting XA Alpha or its another version there as I heard that it is going to be launched in 2015. Neither XA Alpha was there nor any other concepts from Maruti Suzuki was launched in that auto show.

Rolls Royce and BMW

Next to Maruti Suzuki was Rolls Royce. Rolls Royce as a company wasn't there. It was its Ahmedabad's dealer who was representing Rolls Royce. It was the same case with BMW. I do not know which car Rolls Royce has put on display there. I am not a Rolls Royce fan so I don't really keep a watch over its cars. I only know about one or two cars of it. BMW's two cars were there one was Z4 coupe and it was so awesome that I didn't care about the other one. As there dealers were there you can't expect anything new from them.

Ford

Ford was there with its Ecosport and Fiesta. Ford has put those two cars which were totally opposite to each other in terms of market share in their respective segements. Ecosport has captured a huge market even though it was launched pretty late in its segmemt. While Fiesta is totally dud in its segment despite of several re-launches. It was disappointing that even Ford didn't turn up with anything new.

Hyundai

Hyundai again was with its Elantra, elite i 20, Verna, Santafe etc. In short there was nothing new in Hyundai's camp as well.

Mahindra and Mahindra

Mahindra was there with its Thar and XUV 500. My two all time favourite Mahindra cars. Apart from that there was also Ssanyyong's Rexton. There was couple of RX series SUVs. Rexton is for the ones who are bored of Ford Endeavour and Toyota's Fortuner. It doesn't mean that Rexton lacks something which Endeavour and Fortuner have but it has come too late in Indian market. Fortuner and Endeavour has established themselves well in that segment.

Honda, Tata Motors and Renault

Similar to Hyundai, there was nothing new in Honda, Tata Motors and Ranult's camp. Though Zest of Tata motors attracted a few on itself because of its features.

Concept Cars

There was only one concept and that was a prototype of 'green sports car' whose developer claimed that it runs 1000 kilometres on its single charge of its batteries. It grabbed all the eyeballs at the auto show. It will cost between 15 - 25 lacs as per it's developer. It was the only highlight of otherwise a dud auto show.

Apart from cars there were bikes as well but again there was nothing new in that too. Before going into this auto show I was thinking that an hour will be very less to explore all the cars but I finished it within half an hour. The much excitement I had before attending it, there was an equal disappointment in me after attending it. Hopefully it will be better next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment